Chandler Illegal Drug DUI Attorney
The state of Arizona has some of the toughest DUI laws in the nation. You can be prosecuted for a DUI if you are impaired by alcohol, prescription drugs, or illegal drugs. If a test indicates there is any amount of the illegal drug in your system, you could be charged with DUI. Even if those drugs did not actually diminish your ability to operate your vehicle in a safe manner, you could still be prosecuted.
While an Illegal Drug DUI is a misdemeanor—but with very serious penalties and consequences—if you are found with illegal drugs at the time of the stop, you could also face felony drug possession charges in Chandler. It is extremely important that you contact an experienced Chandler DUI defense attorney from the Ciccarelli Law Offices as soon as possible after you are charged. We will begin working on your case immediately, looking at every possible angle that can potentially minimize the consequences of your charges.
At the Ciccarelli Law Offices, we are here to help you when you need a strong advocate in your corner. Our team has the necessary resources to mount a thorough investigation into your charges and the facts surrounding your case. Lee Ciccarelli lead a team that brings more than one hundred years of combined national criminal defense experience in state and federal courts. Recognized by our peers as Super Lawyers, we understand the implications and consequences of an Arizona prosecution/conviction.
Why Choose a Chandler Illegal Drug DUI Lawyer Ciccarelli Law Offices?
- Our DUI team will help you deal with the prosecutor in your case as well as the Motor Vehicle Department regarding matters associated with your driver’s license.
- Ciccarelli Law Offices has received the Ten Best Client Satisfaction Award by the American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys.
- Lee Ciccarelli is a member of the National College of DUI Defense.
- We strive to bring a high level of advocacy and experience to each and every DUI case we help a client with.
- Our Chandler criminal defense lawyers are dedicated to fighting for the rights of those whose liberty is on the line, regardless of who they are, where they are from, or how much money they have.
- After successfully representing thousands of clients across the country, we have hundreds of five-star reviews from our clients.
- We are a team of DUI lawyers with proven results, respected by prosecutors and law enforcement officials alike.
When you are facing the stiff penalties associated with a DUI in the state of Arizona, as well as the collateral damages, you need a solid, experienced, knowledgeable DUI attorney from the Ciccarelli Law Offices.
What Penalties Are Associated with an Illegal Drug DUI Conviction in Chandler, AZ
A.R.S. § 28-1381 (A)(1) and (A) (3) govern driving under the influence in the state of Arizona. The statutes detail driving while under the influence of any “drug, vapor-releasing substance, toxic substance, or a combination of these substances if you are impaired even to the slightest degree.” If you are driving while under the influence of illegal drugs, including heroin, methamphetamine, marijuana, LSD, or psilocybin mushrooms, and the substance impairs your ability to drive safely, you could be charged with Illegal Drug DUI.
Those taking prescription drugs should not assume they are safe from DUI charges, just as those with a medical marijuana card should not assume they are safe from DUI charges. If you are convicted of an Illegal Drug DUI, you are facing roughly the same penalties as you would face for driving while impaired from alcohol. This is a Class 1 misdemeanor, and your penalties could include:
- Up to six months in jail, with a minimum jail sentence of 10 days
- Fines that can go as high as $2,000 or more
- Mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device
- Community Service
- Mandatory alcohol and drug screening/counseling
- You could lose your driver’s license from 90 days up to a year
As noted, in the case of an Illegal Drug DUI you could also face additional charges such as drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, or drug transportation charges. If this is your second Arizona DUI, your fines will increase, you could face a minimum jail sentence of 90 days with a maximum of six months, a one-year suspension of your driver’s license, a requirement to attend driving school, installation of an ignition interlock device, alcohol and drug screening/counseling, and community service.
A third DUI offense within seven years will result in a minimum jail sentence of 120 days with no chance of probation, a one-year suspension of your driver’s license, required attendance in an alcohol treatment program, installation of an ignition interlock device, and fines that can range from $4,000, up to many times that amount.
What Are Some Potential Defenses to Charges of Illegal Drug DUI
While your specific defense to the charges of Illegal Drug DUI will depend entirely on the facts and circumstances surrounding your arrest, the most commonly used Illegal Drug DUI defenses include:
- Your attorney may argue that you were not impaired to the slightest degree. In some cases, completely sober people can have a difficult time passing many of the tests, especially those with physical or mental issues.
- Even if the chemical test found illegal drugs in your system, there is no specific “level” of illegal drugs (as with alcohol) that indicates your degree of impairment. Additionally, there may have been issues associated with the actual blood draw, either in the method used to draw blood, or perhaps the fact that the chain of custody was not properly followed.
- You were not in actual physical control of the vehicle. The government must definitively prove you were driving the car and that you were not “sleeping it off” in the back seat with the keys out of your reach.
- There was no reasonable suspicion to pull you over. You had committed no traffic offense that justified the officer pulling you over.
- The officer failed to Mirandize you or refused (or significantly delayed) your request for an attorney.
Contact A Chandler Illegal Drug DUI Attorney Today
If you have questions after an illegal drug DUI arrest, we can help. At Ciccarelli Law Offices, our Chandler DUI Defense lawyers are passionate about representing individuals accused of drug DUI across the state of Arizona. We can meet with you to help you better understand your legal options and fight for the freedom you deserve. Call Attorneys Lee Ciccarelli to help you through the DUI process after you are arrested and charged with illegal drug DUI in Chandler or throughout the state of Arizona.
You need a Chandler DUI defense lawyer that is there for you when you need them most. Contact us or call today at (480) 725-6132.