Chandler Marijuana DUI Attorney
Over the past few years, the attitude regarding marijuana use has shifted significantly. The state of Arizona legalized medical marijuana in 2010, then ten years later Proposition 207 was passed, allowing the use and possession of small amounts of marijuana. These legal developments have made a significant difference in how marijuana DUI laws are prosecuted, although driving under the influence of marijuana remains a criminal offense. If you have been charged with a Marijuana DUI in Chandler, AZ, it is important that you have an attorney that is highly experienced, both with the laws of the state and regarding the best way to challenge the case against you.
The Ciccarelli Law Offices have the necessary experience, knowledge, and skills to provide the very best defense on your behalf, resulting in the best outcome possible. You need a team of experienced, respected Chandler DUI defense attorneys that have your back at a time when you need an advocate the most. Lee Ciccarelli lead our team, bringing over a hundred years of combined national criminal defense experience in state and federal courts.
Why Choose A Chandler Marijuana DUI Lawyer From Ciccarelli Law Offices?
- Peers recognize the Ciccarelli Law Offices attorneys as Super Lawyers.
- Our clients have recognized us with hundreds of five-star reviews.
- We have a solid understanding of the consequences related to a Marijuana DUI conviction and will work hard to prevent that.
- We are experienced negotiators and aggressive litigators when the situation warrants.
- We have the resources necessary to fully investigate the charges against you, dealing with the prosecutors in your case as well as the Arizona MVD for matters related to your driver’s license.
If you have been arrested for Marijuana DUI in the state of Arizona, we hope you will call us at the first opportunity. The sooner we can start investigating your case, the more likely we can find a way to help you minimize the damage a Marijuana DUI can bring. The Chandler criminal defense lawyers at Ciccarelli Law Offices are 100 percent dedicated to fighting for the rights of those whose liberty is on the line when facing criminal accusations.
What are the Penalties for a Chandler, AZ Marijuana DUI?
In the state of Arizona, the DUI laws say that it is illegal to drive with a drug or metabolite in your system, even if you are not impaired. Since the metabolite for marijuana can stay in your system for up to 30 days, you could, conceivably, be charged with a Marijuana DUI even if you have not smoked or ingested marijuana for three weeks or more. As unfair as this sounds—and it is—you could also face virtually the same DUI penalties as you would face for a “regular” DUI where you were actually impaired.
Yes, even if you have a medical marijuana card and you are not actually impaired when pulled over, you could still face one day in jail, the necessity of installing an ignition interlock device on your vehicle, a suspension of your driver’s license for one year, and significant fines and fees. To add to the unfairness of the situation, a person convicted of a “regular” DUI will only have his or her driver’s license revoked for 90 days, yet a person convicted of Marijuana DUI will have his or her driver’s license revoked for a full year. Following that year, you cannot automatically reinstate at the end of your suspension. You will be required to submit a revocation packet, then wait for your application to be accepted or denied.
If you are convicted of a Marijuana DUI, you will not be allowed to have your conviction expunged with the help of one of our Chandler expungement lawyers. You may possibly be able to have your conviction “set aside,” although this does not remove the conviction from your record, leaving the conviction in full view for those conducting background checks for jobs or rentals. Those who hold a professional license (accountants, teachers, law enforcement, commercial drivers, healthcare workers) can find a Marijuana DUI conviction especially problematic. As you can see, having a DUI conviction on your record can cause you problems for a very long time to come. Don’t gamble on your future—contact an experienced DUI attorney from the Ciccarelli Law Offices today!
What are the Potential Defenses for a Chandler, AZ Marijuana DUI?
As with any DUI charges in the state of Arizona, the defense your attorney will use on your behalf will depend on the circumstances and facts surrounding your arrest. Because of the passage of Proposition 207 in November 2020, your attorney may have an easier time defending your Marijuana DUI charges. Some of the most common defenses used for those charged with a Marijuana DUI include:
- There was no reasonable suspicion for your traffic stop—i.e., you committed no traffic violations that would have triggered such a stop.
- There were problems with your field sobriety tests—you have a medical condition or are taking a prescription medication that made you do poorly on the tests, you have a balance issue, you are elderly or overweight, or the surface used for your field sobriety tests was rocky and uneven.
- There was no probable cause for your arrest because you were not too impaired to drive, and you violated no traffic laws.
- Chain of custody issues was associated with your blood test, or there were errors on the part of the laboratory that tested your blood. The person who drew your blood sample may not have been sufficiently experienced, or the equipment may have been contaminated.
- You were not properly Mirandized at the time of your arrest. Under the law, you must have your Miranda Rights read to you at the time of your arrest.
- You requested an attorney, but the officers deliberately made you wait a significant amount of time before allowing you to make that call.
- Because of your tolerance to marijuana, you were not impaired at the time of your arrest.
- You have a medical marijuana card and may have smoked or ingested marijuana weeks ago, meaning you were not impaired at the time of your arrest.
Contact A Chandler Marijuana DUI Lawyer Today
If you are facing charges of marijuana DUI in Chandler, Arizona, you deserve to have a law firm on your side that can protect your rights and freedom. At Ciccarelli Law Offices, our Chandler DUI Defense lawyers realize that your entire future is at stake after a DUI arrest. That’s why we fight aggressively for you at every turn.
Let Attorneys Lee Ciccarelli help you through this difficult time in your life. We have extensive experience dealing with complex marijuana DUI cases in Chander and throughout the state of Arizona.
You deserve a Chandler DUI defense lawyer that is there for you when you need them most. Contact us or call today at (480) 725-6132